Saturday, October 4, 2014

Framing the debate.

"If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments"
-Children of Dune


I started looking into framing these past few days, in response to the #gamergate issue in specific, but in the general topics of feminism, social justice, etc.




I started with this video, by a progressive, on using framing as a tool in debate with conservatives, and how conservatives use framing.

I then did a little reading on how framing is affected by the amygdala, inspired by this blog.

http://www.anonymousconservative.com/blog/touching-the-raw-amygdala-part-i-foundational-understandings/

I then did some watching of Robert Sapolsky videos, especially this one on the limbic system.




I'm still digging, but my opinion so far is that while facts and stats are good, they don't necessarily win debates or influence people. Emotions are the motivations to accept or reject those facts.

There's some debate on the value of engaging with social justice warriors and feminists at all. I think that engaging with them is inevitable. Either that, or they will continue to co-opt various areas of interest and twist them to their agenda. Atheism, video games, comics, etc.



Alison Tieman recently did a great video on how feminists frame the issue of sufferage.




I think this illustrates the value of framing and reframing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment